Smoky & Spicy Sweet Potato Gratin
You just found your new favorite potluck dish! With warm smoky and spicy flavors and creamy potato goodness, this dish is sure to deliver.
Potato Gratin Ingredients
- Nonstick cooking spray (Canola or Coconut Oil)
- 1 container (8-ounces) Fresh Cravings Smokehouse Almond Dip (or Fresh Cravings Creamy Garlic Almond Dip for a less spicy alternative)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons milk (or milk alternative)
- 1 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced 1/8 inch thick on a mandolin or with a very sharp chef’s knife
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan (or vegan parmesan, optional)
(Optional) Vegan Parmesan Ingredients
- 1 cup raw cashews or raw almonds
- 3 heaping tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Spray the bottom and sides of an 8 inch x 8 inch baking dish with nonstick spray. Place the dish on a baking sheet.
- Whisk together Fresh Cravings Smokehouse Almond Dip (or Fresh Cravings Creamy Garlic Almond Dip), cinnamon, nutmeg, and milk in a bowl until smooth.
- In a separate blow, toss potato slices with salt and pepper to season to taste.
- Arrange potatoes in an even layer on the bottom of the baking dish. Drizzle with 3 tablespoons of almond dip mixture. Season with salt and pepper. Repeat with the remaining potatoes and spice mixture, building 7 to 9 layers. Press down on the layers to submerge all of the slices in the mixture.
- Cover tightly with foil and bake in the oven for 35 minutes.
- If making vegan parmesan: While the gratin is cooking, combine cashews, nutritional yeast, salt, and garlic powder in a food processor. Pulse until finely chopped. (Note: this mixture will last, if tightly covered, in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.)
- Remove foil, sprinkle the top evenly with parmesan (or vegan parmesan) and continue baking until the gratin is bubbly and top is golden brown, about 30 to 45 minutes longer.
- Remove to a baking rack and let cool for 15 minutes before serving.