Mexican Style Paella with Chicken & Sausage
This delicious Mexican Style Paella recipe is bursting with flavors and a little bit of heat from Fresh Cravings Chunky Salsa!
- 1 16-ounce container Fresh Cravings Chunky Salsa (mild or medium)
- 12-ounce chicken tenders, patted dry
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 12-ounce fully cooked chicken sausage or pork sausage links
- 2 cups long grain rice
- 3 cups low sodium canned chicken stock or water (or a combination of both)
- 1 cup frozen peas
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
- Lime wedges
- Remove ½ cup of the salsa and set aside. Place remaining salsa in a blender or food processor and process until smooth.
- Put the chicken in a bowl, add 1/2 cup of pureed salsa and toss to coat. Cover and marinate for at least 30 minutes and up to 2 hours in the refrigerator.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large high sided sauté pan, over high heat, until it begins to shimmer. Season chicken with salt and pepper and cook until both sides are golden brown and just cooked through, about 3 minutes per side. Remove to a plate and loosely tent with foil, let rest 10 minutes then slice into 2-inch pieces.
- Add the remaining oil to pan and heat until shimmering and cook the sausage until golden brown on both sides, about 3 minutes per side. Remove to a plate, loosely tent with foil, and let rest for 10 minutes. Slice on the bias into 2-inch pieces.
- Wipe the pan out with paper towels, add remaining pureed salsa and stock, bring to a boil, add rice and 1 teaspoon of salt. Bring mixture back to a boil, cover and reduce heat to medium low, cook until the liquid is absorbed, and the rice is tender, about 18 minutes.
- Remove from heat, sprinkle peas over the top, let sit with the lid on for 5 minutes, fluff with a fork, stir in the chicken, sausage, peas, and cilantro. Spoon remaining salsa over the top, serve immediately.
Credit: Stephanie Banyas, New York Times Bestselling Cookbook Author and Recipe Developer