Sloppy Joe Mini Tacos
A twist on a childhood favorite, this recipe brings together the best part of sloppy joes into taco form topped with Fresh Cravings Restaurant Style Salsa.
- 1 16-ounce container Fresh Cravings Restaurant Style Salsa (mild or medium)
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoon yellow, brown, or Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 heaping tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 8-ounces ground turkey or pork chorizo
- 8-ounces ground chuck or turkey 90/10
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 15 Mission Sweet Hawaiian Street Tortillas
- ¼ cup finely chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 cup crumble cotija cheese (or feta or goat cheese)
- 1 cup shredded Mexican blend cheese, optional
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced, soaked in ice water for 30 minutes and drained
- Avocado mash
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
- Transfer salsa to a blender or food processor and process until smooth. Remove ½ cup of salsa and set aside for garnish.
- Mix together the remaining salsa with ketchup, mustard, Worcestershire, and brown sugar in a medium bowl until combined.
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Heat oil over high heat in a large sauté pan until it begins to shimmer. Add chorizo and ground meat, season with salt and pepper and cook, breaking up the meat with a wooden spoon, until golden brown and just cooked through, about 8 minutes.
- Add the sauce and ¼ cup of water and bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally until the mixture thickens, about 10 minutes. Taste for seasoning.
- While the Sloppy Joses are cooking, wrap tortillas tightly in foil and heat in the oven for 10 minutes. Remove and keep wrapped tightly until just before using.
- Place tortillas on flat surface, top with a few spoonfuls of the meat mix and garnish as desired with cheddar and salsa, avocado mash, cotija and sliced red onion.
Recipe Credit: Stephanie Banyas, New York Times Bestselling Cookbook Author and Recipe Developer