Spicy Red Pepper Chickpea Soup With Gazpacho Relish & Tortilla Croutons
This delicious soup blends together cucumber, tomato, onion, and cilantro, featuring Fresh Cravings Restaurant Style Salsa and Roasted Red Pepper Hummus.
Serves: 2 as a soup course or 8 as an appetizer
- ¼ cup finely diced seeded English cucumbers
- ¼ cup finely diced seeded Roma tomato
- 2 tablespoons finely diced red onion
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 cups canned low sodium vegetable stock, divided
- ½ cup Fresh Cravings Restaurant Style Salsa, mild or medium (depending on spice preference)
- 1 10-ounce container Fresh Cravings Roasted Red Pepper Hummus
- Juice of 1 lime, divided
- Tri-Color Fried Tortilla strips, such as Fresh Gourmet Brand
- Combine cucumber, tomato, onion, and cilantro in a small bowl, add juice from half the lime and season with salt and pepper. Let sit at room temperature while you make the soup.
- Combine 1 cup stock and salsa in a blender or food processor and process until smooth.
- Pour mixture into a medium saucepan, add remaining stock, hummus, salt and pepper, and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer until slightly thickened, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in juice from the remaining lime half.
- Divide soup between two bowls and top with the relish and a handful of tortilla strips. Or pour the soup into a measuring cup with lip and pour among individual shot glass or espresso cups. Top with a small spoonful of the relish and a few tortilla strips.
Recipe Credit: Stephanie Banyas, New York Times Bestselling Cookbook Author and Recipe Developer