Spicy Shrimp Remoulade in Lettuce Cups
These delicious spicy shrimp remoulade lettuce cups are simple to make and easy to serve, perfect as an appetizer for gatherings or family dinners!
For the shrimp:
- 1/2 cup Fresh Cravings Chunky Salsa, (mild or medium)
- 1 lime, sliced
- 1-pound fresh shrimp (31–35), peeled and deveined (if using frozen, let thaw completely in refrigerator)
- 12 sprigs cilantro
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
For the Remoulade Sauce:
- ¾ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon whole grain mustard
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- ½ teaspoon chile powder or smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ cup Fresh Cravings Chunky Salsa (mild or medium), drained well
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- ¼ cup green onion, thinly sliced, plus more for garnish
- 8 butter or Boston lettuce leaves
- Cilantro leaves, for garnish
- Lime wedges, for serving
- Chopped Black Olives, optional for garnish
- Chopped Hard Cooked Eggs, optional for garnish
- Add salsa into a food processor or blender with 1 cup of water and blend until smooth.
- Fill a large bowl with ice water, set aside. Transfer salsa mixture to a large saucepan, add 8 additional cups of cold water, the lime slices, cilantro sprigs and salt. Bring to a boil over high heat, stir in shrimp, cover, turn off heat and let the shrimp poach (off heat) in the liquid for 10 minutes, then drain in a colander. Transfer shrimp to the ice bath and let sit for 5 minutes. Drain well again.
- While the shrimp are poaching, whisk together mayonnaise, mustard, lime juice, chile powder, sugar, salt, and pepper in a large bowl until combined, and fold in the salsa. The remoulade sauce can be made 24 hours in advance and stored covered in the refrigerator. The longer the remoulade sits the better the flavor.
- Put half of the remoulade sauce into a large bowl, fold in shrimp and cilantro, adding more remoulade if needed to make the mixture a bit creamier, taste for seasoning. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes and up to 6 hours.
- Arrange lettuce cups on a platter. Spoon equal portions of shrimp mixture into lettuce cups, garnish, and serve.
Recipe Credit: Stephanie Banyas, New York Times Bestselling Cookbook Author and Recipe Developer