Mini Football Empanadas
This empanada recipe is perfect for sharing with friends and family on game day.
- 1 lb ground chicken or beef
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- ½ Tablespoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt (plus more to taste)
- ¼ teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 can chopped green chiles
- 2 tbsp juice from 1/2 lime
- 10 oz Fresh Cravings Restaurant Style Mild Salsa
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese (Monterey jack or cheddar)
- 2 boxes (14.1 oz) refrigerated pie crusts (2 Count)
- Egg wash (1 egg beaten with 1 tsp water)
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Brown the ground chicken or beef, then add onion and garlic to pan.
- In a side dish combine chili powder, cumin, coriander, paprika, sea salt, black pepper, and pepper flakes.
- When the onion is translucent, add the side dish seasoning and green chiles.
- Stir in Fresh Cravings Restaurant Style Salsa and cook 5-6 minutes to thicken sauce.
- Remove filling from heat and add cheese to the filling.
- Cool the filling to room temperature.
- Preheat the oven to 375° F.
- For football-shaped pies:
- Let pie crust thaw to room temperature.
- Unroll one of the pie crusts.